Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Santa

Not a lot of big people hold a place in lore and culture in a positive way.  Perhaps the most beloved big person is Santa Claus.  I object to the whole "jolly" thing, but it's still a positive character.

Because of this, every Christmastime I'm tapped to be Santa somewhere.  I don't always do it, but once in a while I do.  I like playing Santa for the most part, mainly because it's something I can do that thinner people can't do quite as effectively.  Also the fact that I can grow a big, busy beard helps.  I sort of hate the beard.  Though I normally sport a beard, letting it grow out makes me look, well, like Santa.  Without the red suit I basically look like a big man with a big, bushy beard.  Let's just say people don't look at me and smile -- more like they look at me and hide their valuables.

So, what other big people are held in esteem in culture and lore?  Fezziwig?  Fat Albert?  Horton the Elephant?  The cast of Mike & Molly?  The list is short.

No comments:

Post a Comment